Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should: kefir edition


I got some kefir grains. I followed the instructions religiously. I made goat milk kefir. It took weeks and I had to pay really close attention to details. It tasted ok. Not like other kefir I'd had before but I chalked that up to the fact that it was warm from fermenting on my counter rather than cold like from the store. Still, I didn't want to leave the house for a few hours in case it made me violently ill. It didn't!!

Here are the instructions: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/kefir

Then I went on vacation and didn't know what to do with my kefir grains. So I googled it and it said to leave them in fresh milk in the fridge and start again upon return. Upon return I discovered a murky jar of yuck, pictured below.


Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Or feel bad that you don't feel like trying again right now. There's plenty of local delicious goat kefir options available here in Edmonton!! Well actually just one other that I know of. The health benefits of kefir are supposedly very good so I'm not letting my DIY flailure stop me from experiencing it anyways. Maybe I will try again soon!!!

Delicious goat kefir from Happy Days Goat Dairies in Ponoka, AB and Chilliwack, BC. 


No comments:

Post a Comment